About Us

In the year 1889 Henry Daniel Beach formed The Standard Advertising Company to manufacture advertising specialties and novelties. Standard Advertising began lithography on metal signs in 1890, being the first company in the world to do so on a steam press. This new process for manufacturing metal signs was developed by the company. Standard Advertising also first specialized in making oilcloth school bags made of gum muslin, wood yardsticks, paint paddles, metal signs, displays and cloth aprons which carried the customers name and message.

In 1896, Mr. Beach decided to build his own new plant. This new building had 55,000 square feet of space. In 1901, Henry D. Beach merged The Standard Advertising Company with a local competitor, The Tuscarora Advertising Company, which was owned by Jasper M. Meek. This new corporation was named The Meek and Beach Company and Mr. Henry D. Beach was elected President. After a few months, Mr. Beach sold his interest in the firm and Mr. Meek continued to operate the company until 1905.
As soon as Mr. Beach left The Meek and Beach Company, he organized The H. D. Beach Company and built a new factory in 1902 at 1300 East Walnut Street, Coshocton, Ohio. To simplify the line of products, the new company confined its effort exclusively to decorated metal advertising trays, displays and signs. Some of the many customers for advertising metal trays and displays were brewers and soft drink companies such as Miller High Life, Anheuser-Busch, Pabst, Coca-Cola and Moxie. In the marketplace today these decorated pieces are highly collectable and have great value. Customers for metal advertising signs were Texaco, Shell, Gulf, Firestone and Goodyear. A division of the firm, which was The Beach Leather Company (organized January 1907), made leather wallets, key cases and other leather products. A second corporation, The Beach Enameling company, was formed in 1912 to manufacture tin and porcelain enameled thermometers for outdoor use. A consolidation of these two corporations was made in 1940 and the new corporation was named The Beach Company. This firm, in 1952, purchased the Guy S. Meek Calendar Company and the name was changed to The Beach Company. This firm manufactures commercial advertising wall calendars that are sold through advertising specialty distributors throughout the United States.

In 1975, the company built a new 24,000 square foot building located at the corner of Brown’s Lane and South Second Street of Coshocton, Ohio. During the years from 1952 to 1995, James W. Beach, Jr. (6/3/1925 - 4/14/1995) was President, owner and Treasurer of this company. Since his passing, the corporation is headed by his eldest son, James M. Beach who is President and Treasurer. His brother, Edward A. Beach is Vice President. They are the fifth generation to continue in the Promotional Advertising business. Throughout these past years the company has stressed a quality product and good service to its many customers.